At some point, everyone has wanted to change their name. What some might see as a cumbersome process is actually quite convenient. In a few simple steps, you can change your name and be the person you have always wanted to be.
Step 1: Create a Name Change Affidavit
With the help of a lawyer, this affidavit must have some the following information included:
- Old Name
- Proposed New Name
- Reason for name change (marriage, legal, numerology, etc.)
Print this affidavit on a stamp paper and get it signed by two witnesses. This affidavit has to be notarized.
Step 2: Plan an Advertisement
Publish an advertisement about your name change in a local and a national newspaper. This is needed because people must know about the name change. A sample of the advertisement must be attached in the files section. This is optional for some states.
Step 3: Name Change Gazette Procedure
The final step is to submit the application and documents for publication of name change in Official Gazette to Department of Publication. Publication of the name change will be done after 7 days of the application being turned in.
- Advertisement in the newspaper (Original and Photocopy of advertisement appearing in the newspaper.
- Affidavit for name change.
- Prescribed proforma for change of name signed by two witnesses. Witness details are as follows
- Full name
- Mobile/Phone Number
- Softcopies of the proforma without witness details. This is to be submitted in the form of a USB or a CD.
- A certificate stating that details of the CD/USB and hard copy are similar.
- Two self attested passport size photos.
- Photocopy of identity proof of the applicant. Any one of the below will suffice:
- Aadhar Card
- Voter ID card
- PAN card
- Driving License
- Cover letter
- Demand Draft for payment of fees. The mode of payment can differ and so will the proofs.
While all this might seem simple, this can be quite a cumbersome process. With the help of the services provided by Doqfy, every legal process becomes a cakewalk. Rely on our team of experienced lawyers to ensure you can go through all the bureaucratic loopholes. With stellar services like e-stamping, notarization, affidavits and agreements all done from the comfort of your own home. Contact Doqfy, We Simplify.